Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nervous About Response to Obama...but happy.




A few things make me nervous about Barack’s winning. Here is a few on my mind right now:

- The celebration and jubilation that is buzzing through Kenya is great but is its magnitude misplaced? If it is in fact appropriate then I hope that it does not give way to ridiculous expectations upon the Obama Administration vis-à-vis US-Kenya relations etc. That makes me nervous.

- The state of African-Americans – I hope that the African-American will not now walk around with extra padding on their shoulder because this is a step towards the process of leveling the field as opposed to tipping the scales in the opposite direction to the status quo.

- The White Americans – I hope they don’t feel too complacent by having voted for a Black president and actually start acting the way their vote suggests they are beginning to think about racial politics.

- The Foreign Black Student From Botswana: I hope everyone will stop trying to drag me into false solidarity based on color.

That said, CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!

No comments: