Sunday, November 9, 2008

RANTING: Barack's Glory Casts A Shadow on Me


No rain on Obama, but read on.

Barack Obama is on his way to becoming the first Black President of the US. As a political scientist and someone interested in world politics I see this as a miraculously good thing in many ways including symbolism of progressive thinking of the American people, the changing of America’s face to a world angry at and sometimes hateful towards the US etc.

That being said, I do not have an emotional response towards the outcome of Obama’s run. I do not even use such words as “victory” to describe it. Whose victory? I may love Obama as a leader but truth is though I may live in America but I am still a foreigner looking in on American politics. They do not make me react on a personal level as opposed to an intellectual one of a voyeur. And this distant reaction of mine has earned me a few odd looks from the Americans I speak with who expect the opposite.

WHY cannot they understand that I will not sing praises for Barack based on the fact that he is Black and so am I? Given the History Barack’s presidency will be making, will American people assess their understanding of a compartmentalized understanding of identity being the basis for phony solidarity? I respect the man as a leader, not for the fact that he is my color.

2 comments:

Tee said...

I don't usually say anything about this stuff because I hate politics, but I'm going to say this much.
No, we shouldn't necessarily feel solidarity to a black American winning because he is black, especially because it doesn't change all that much regarding me and you as non Americans.
BUT, we need to celebrate the fact that the world is moving forward. I'm the first to say - America often thinks itself more important than it is. On the other hand, you and I both know that a lot of us are looking at America, and watching it for trends in the Western world and all that jazz. So, in the spirit of my uncle who's lived in Germany 50 odd years, and my aunt who's now a British citizen still finding ways to celebrate this small victory for democracy, and for (I think) America, we should be excited too. Because, as I said about Palin's woman-ness - I wanted a president that wasn't a white man, but I wouldn't take just anybody .

So if some random dude who didn't have vision had come about and people were voting for him because he's black, I'd be pissed - we could do better. BUT, finally, thankfully, someone who has so much promise for who he can become and what he can accomplish came along. The thing to celebrate, je crois, is that America was able to see his potential, and recognize that it was better than the other option, and came out strong to support it.


That was long-winded, and I'm not sure how much it actually answers... but that's what I was thinking as I read your response.

Chilla#1 said...

I really think you hit the nail in the head. America was able to see past the usual barrier of race, color, change etc and give America a change to get a political face-lift. I am very excited about it and thank you for your comment. The false solidarity should not be a thought we entertain - it could lead to a tragedy. I am imagining too much maybe.