Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Kufuor Wins!!!


Congratulations to Ghanaian president, John Agyekum Kufuor who just got elected to be the new Chairperson of the African Union for the 2007 session... So, President Kufuor is the second civilian Ghanaian leader, after Dr. Kwame Nkrumah to chair the Union. He takes over at a time when Darfur in Western Sudan has become one of the more intractable African "problems" confronting the international community. Eish, maybe if the AU had a little more resources, it would have more influence...

2 comments:

Benin said...

That is very deep. I confess that I don't know as much as I should about Kufour, but the one thing that I can say is that I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him. This from a country with one of the most liberal media forums in all of Africa. Him coming to the AU, I think should be a very positive event for the entire continent and no doubt his experiences in a country that produces so many diplomats in and out of State should help him. I hope that it helps him to smooth out the situation in Darfur in a uniquely African way. If this is the case, then although resources are not so prevalent now in the AU, maybe we might see a much more endowed union in the future. Wonderful, wonderful blog!

Chilla#1 said...

yes, that is the hope...thank you about comment on blog